How to Enforce Child Custody Agreements
White Plains child custody and visitation attorney protecting your rights
The issues of divorce become more complex when they involve children. Even in a broken marital relationship, neither parent wants to lose any time helping their children grow and develop. You need a competent and understanding family law attorney to arrive at a settlement and enforcement solutions that are best suited to help your children continue to thrive after divorce. A trusted New York divorce lawyer in White Plains, Martin J. Rosen, P.C. is dedicated to helping families resolve the conflicts of child custody and visitation.
How NY courts decide custody and visitation issues
The primary focus of the courts involves creating an agreement that serves the best interests of the children. Whether you decide to develop your own parenting plan or leave these decisions to the courts, you must consider many factors:
- Which parent held the role of primary caregiver during the marriage or has the closest bond with the children
- The mental and physical health of all family members
- The parenting skills of each parent
- The work schedules of each parent
- Which parent has the greatest inclination to encourage a close relationship between the other parent and the children
- Any history of domestic violence or child abuse
Each situation is unique. You need a seasoned White Plains child custody attorney to ensure that you present your best case for custody and visitation.
How to file for child visitation rights
To obtain court-ordered visitation rights, a parent must file a petition with the Family Court. Custody and visitation can be dealt with together or in separate hearings. Other family members, such as grandparents, may also petition the court for visitation.
The benefits of a negotiated parenting plan
Every family has unique issues that courts may not adequately address, such as:
- Finding ways to share parenting time equally while residing in different states
- Identifying ways to consider differing preferences of older children
- Resolving the issues pertaining to special needs children
- Formalizing a plan for grandparents
Even in negotiated uncontested divorce settlements, the courts must approve the terms of a parenting plan, which specifies the agreement set forth for custody, visitation and child support, to help ensure that each point of the plan best addresses the needs of the children. An experienced White Plains divorce lawyer can help parents put their issues aside to arrive at a plan that truly addresses those needs. Martin J. Rosen is a family law attorney with more than 40 years of legal service helping clients ease the difficulties of the divorce process and maintain their relationships with their children.
Contact a responsive child custody and visitation attorney
Martin J. Rosen understands how important your children are to you and works hard to get you the best results in your custody and visitation arrangements. Call Martin J. Rosen at 914-517-0841 or contact the firm online to get the legal help you need to transcend your current situation. The law office of Martin J. Rosen, P.C. serves Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess and New York counties.